Monday, August 22, 2011

Estee Lauder Pure Color Long Lasting Lipstick in Classic Red

I have a new found love for red lipsticks these days. Since getting the Dior Addict in Red Carpet, I have been rather hooked on wearing bold, red lips. When domncroxd from Belle Demoiselle offered a red lipstick up for swap during a recent meetup, I pounced on it immediately (she's a silly girl for giving up such a beautiful red lipstick).


I believe this was offered as part of a gift with purchase (GWP) from a previous collection and the tube is smaller than the full-sized Estee Lauder lipsticks. Also, I must be getting old because I actually find the gold packaging to be rather elegant when I used to think that they look dated. My taste has definitely evolved as I put more years behind me.




What you get from Classic Red is a true red with slightly coral undertones. It does not appear to be overly warm and I believe it will suit most skin tones. Not only does it brighten up my overall appearance but it makes me look a little more polished too.


I wore it to work today with a simple, neutral eyeshadow look using the Sleek Oh So Special palette. Estee's Classic Red is more muted than Dior's Red Carpet as the latter has a glossier finish. The Pure Color Long Lasting Lipstick is meant to be fade-resistant and it does leave an even stain on the lips, which only came off after wiping my mouth during lunch.

The texture is smooth and creamy. It has a satin finish without shimmers and wears better on well-moisturised lips as it does have some drag upon application. My lips were quite chapped today but it managed to cover the flaky bits without issues.

As with most reds and such bold colours, I'd recommend using a lip brush to apply. In fact, it would be better if coupled with a lipliner to prevent the colour from migrating. Since Classic Red is so pigmented, I only had to pat very little on and then press my lips together when touching up.

Classic Red is indeed a classic and has proven to be very wearable colour for day-to-day use. Estee Lauder offers the Pure Color Long Lasting Lipstick in 35 gorgeous colours, retailing at RM88 for a full-sized tube.