Sunday, August 21, 2011

Ecotools Bamboo Bronzer Brush

A couple of weeks ago, I came across the Ecotools bronzer brush at a local mall and immediately snapped one up. I know Ecotools brushes cost twice as much here compared to The States but they are still cheaper than most brands.

I like the fact that Ecotools is an earth-friendly company. It also makes me feel a little bit better that no animals were harmed in the production of their brushes. The bristles are made from synthetic taklon, the handles from bamboo and the ferrules are recycled aluminium.


I have a few face brushes made from synthetic hair and know that they tend to be rather soft. The Ecotools bronzer brush does not disappoint in the softness department. In fact, it has the softest bristles amongst the other face brushes in my collection. My sensitive skin definitely appreciates this.


The brush head is really dense, fluffy and large. I am not sure how well it will work with bronzers as I don't use them but the domed head works really well with mineral makeup and compact powders. From what I've read, quite a few people use the brush with liquid foundation and it works equally well.

I mostly use the brush with loose mineral makeup. I can buff the foundation on fairly quickly and it always seem to deposit the right amount of product. It blends like a dream and provides a really beautiful finish.


No doubt it is a big, fat brush and I see many people complaining about the size of the handle. But it honestly doesn't bother me and I do appreciate the slightly hefty weight in my hand. It just seems to balance better when I swirl and buff powders on.


The first time I washed it, I was quite prepared for the long drying time since it is such a large, dense brush. Just remember to dry it laid flat or downwards because you will not want water to seep into the ferrule as this will loosen the bristles and you'll start experiencing shedding. If you plan to use it with liquid foundation, you'd need to wash it out more often.

This is now my favourite multi-purpose powder brush. I have tried it with normal loose powder (non-mineral type), compact powder, highlighting powder and blush (with a light hand), and it works with all of them. I am already thinking about getting another so I don't mix too many products or colours on one brush.

Overall, this gets two big thumbs-up from me.

I bought the Ecotools Bamboo Bronzer Brush at Shins for RM65. I was going to recommend Makeup Masala if you're interested in ordering online but I don't think she has a shop anymore.