Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Clarins Colour Definition 3D Radiance Face Powder

We have seen quite a number of beautiful Fall makeup releases this year and another stunning product of Autumn/Fall 2011 is definitely the gorgeous Clarins 3D Radiance Face Powder. The first time I saw this embossed, pixelated beauty making its rounds on the internet, I knew I had to have it. There's just something about it that appeals to my inner geek!


The powder comes in Clarins' typical red box and is housed within a lovely red velvet pouch. The light gold compact is so beautiful to look at but is very prone to finger prints and smudges. I find myself wiping the compact after using it each time. ^_^


The powder consists of pixel motifs with 4 distinct shades; a pale lilac, a candy pink, a neutral beige and a peachy-pink. The theory behind the powder is that the different shades together will help to colour correct, normalise skin sallowness and brighten one's overall appearance.

* sorry about the swatches... colours couldn't really show up on camera *

It is surprising that each individual pixel block is actually quite pigmented on its own and when lightly brushed together, it applies as a sheer veil that looks very natural. I see this powder being compared to Guerlain's Meteorites in various blogs but I'd like to think it's different. The Meteorites have a tendency to be sparkly and shiny, whereas the Clarins 3D powder is a lot more subtle, which makes it more suitable for folks with oily skin or larger pores.

* wearing Clarins 3D on my cheeks and close-up photo *

In the photo, I had added a touch of Clarins 3D powder on my cheeks and it does help accentuate and highlight my non-existent cheekbones. The texture is quite soft and buttery and yet solid enough that it doesn't give off that 'powder dust' when you swirl your brush in. Clarins recommends to apply a light layer over the face and neck for a long-lasting, velvety smooth finish.


Pros:
• Beautiful packaging.
• Very unique embossed pixels.
• Buttery texture.
• Softly illuminating (nothing too obvious here).
• Not overly shimmery.

Cons:
• Limited edition.
• Shiny compact is prone to smudges and scratches.


Sadly, the 3D Radiance Face Powder is another one of those limited edition items that may be hard to find at the moment. I got my compact a few weeks ago from the Clarins counter in Parkson Subang Parade and it was the last one left. It retails at RM145 and has 9g worth of product, and I foresee myself using this for a long time to come.