Monday, November 28, 2011

Chanel Vitalumiere Satin Smoothing Fluid Makeup

Being the foundation junkie I am, Chanel foundations have always been on my to-buy list but I have never been able to find something I really liked or a good match from the shades available locally. Nearly two months ago, I was casually browsing through the Chanel counter and came across their Vitalumiere Satin Smoothing Fluid Makeup, which I have never noticed before. I'm not sure if it's new in Malaysia but after doing some online research, this foundation seemed to have been around for a number of years. It's strange that I've never seen it before.


Anyway, one of the reasons why I got it is because I finally found a Chanel liquid foundation shade that I can wear! The colour Limpide #10 suits my skin tone well and does not appear to be too yellow or pink, which can sometimes be dominant undertones in many Chanel foundations.



Compared to the Vitalumiere Aqua, which is one of Chanel's most popular foundations these days, the Vitalumiere Satin Smoothing foundation formula is a little thicker but still applies smoothly. I actually prefer its consistency than the Aqua version as that one feels very runny to me. It dries down to a semi-dewy finish and some people have complained that it feels tacky but I don't find that to be a problem probably because I apply a very sheer layer and barely need to use more than half a pump.

* Chanel Vitalumiere Satin Smoothing Fluid Makeup in #10 Limpide set with Chanel Poudre Universelle Libre in #20 Clair *

It has medium coverage that can be built up and even with a very small amount, I find that it covers most imperfections and redness well enough. I don't usually like to use heavy layers of foundation and don't really mind some flaws or spots or redness showing through. Skin just looks more natural that way.


It is not a particularly long-lasting foundation and will gradually fade throughout the day. Oil control is average and I still need to blot around midday. A primer would help the foundation last a little longer. I do find that it oxidises slightly but not to the point where I look orange. Just a tad bit darker when my oils start coming through but it's hardly noticeable and the only reason why I mentioned it is because I stare at my face upclose every few hours when I test out a new base product.


I have been using a paddle foundation brush or my fingers to apply and have not faced any issues. It smooths out some of the flaky bits of skin quite well and does not really enhance the dry parts of my face. I usually set the foundation with Chanel's loose powder in Clair. The foundation will start fading after five hours or so, therefore be prepared that it will not stay on the whole day. But then again, I only use a small amount each time and have not tested if it lasts longer if I use a thicker layer.

Overall, I am pretty pleased with this Chanel foundation and that the shade is a good match on me. It contains a number of skin-caring ingredients, which makes it a good foundation to use daily. It is marketed as a moisturising formula so those with very oily skin may not like it. It does contain fragrance but is very light and dissipates quickly.

The Chanel Vitalumiere Satin Smoothing Fluid Makeup retails at RM165 for a 30ml bottle and can be found at Chanel counters and boutiques nationwide.