Friday, October 7, 2011

theBalm Cabana Boy Shadow / Blush ~ A Hot New Love

When I first heard of theBalm's Cabana Boy blush, I immediately thought of the Club Tropicana music video by Wham! Do you remember George Michael in his little white Speedos? Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. He may not have been a cabana boy in that video but he definitely embodied the look of one.


Cabana Boy was released back in Summer 2009 and is one of the few blushes available in theBalm's permanent line. The product is housed in a sturdy cardboard compact with a vintage imagery printed on the cover. Doesn't it remind you of some old paperback romance? Hands up if you used to read Mills & Boons :-)



The blush itself is a dusty rose pink with just a hint of a golden sheen. It is very pigmented so I'd recommend a light hand and gradually building up the colour if required. It has a very smooth, satiny texture and is easy to blend. I am so impressed with how gorgeous and buttery theBalm powdered products are.

* taken without flash under warm daylight - it appears as a beautiful muted rose *

Face - Laura Mercier Oil Free Tinted Moisturizer set with Paul & Joe pressed powder; Eyes - theBalm Shady Lady Vol. 3; Lips - Nivea Pink Guava Lipbalm; Cheeks - theBalm Cabana Boy

I can't help but love the gorgeous flush of golden rose Cabana Boy provides. It ought to suit most skin tones too because it doesn't appear too warm, neither is it very cool. It strikes a nice balance somewhere in between. It is fairly long-lasting on me and manages to stay on throughout my work day but do bear in mind I don't usually blot my cheeks, so the colour has less opportunity to transfer.

Cabana Boy may strike people as a summer time blush, well because it was released in summer and it conjures up images of sassy, rich ladies lounging about on deck chairs by the beach. But I honestly feel that this blush is suited for all seasons, just like how Kahani of SoLoverly has demonstrated and worn this fall. Anyway, we only have two "seasons" in the tropics (rain or shine) so you can definitely use Cabana Boy all year round if you choose to.

I honestly have nothing bad to say about Cabana Boy except that it may be difficult to come by as theBalm is only available at Sasa stores locally. I am so enamoured with theBalm blushes that I feel the need to pick up Down Boy and Frat Boy so I can have a complete collection. I think the latter is not available locally so I'd probably need to purchase it online.


Pros:
• Highly pigmented but can be applied sheerly too.
• Smooth consistency with satiny finish.
• Gorgeous colour.
• Cute, vintage-y packaging.
• Talc and paraben free.

Cons:
• Not widely available.

Availability:
theBalm Cabana Boy can be purchased at Sasa stores for RM65. Each pan consists of 8.5g of product, which is a lot of blush. I find this to be pretty good value for money.