Friday, September 23, 2011

theBalm Hot Mama! Shadow / Blush

Can you believe this is the first time I have written about a blush on the blog? Although I have a few blushes, I couldn't really use them because my face and cheeks used to be really splotchy and red. But after a change in my skincare regime, the redness have reduced and I can start wearing cheek colours without looking like I've been slapped in the face.

I really like many of theBalm products because they have all been working very well and are pretty good quality stuff. I am already a fan of their Shady Lady eyeshadow palettes and have been using them regularly for work. Recently, I've been checking out their other powder products too and snapped up Hot Mama! because it looked like such a gorgeous blush. I did a little bit of research and discovered many have likened it as dupe to NARS Orgasm blush. This is not good news to be me because I have used Orgasm many years ago and did not like it.


Thankfully, Hot Mama! suited my skin tone better and I don't think it's the same as Orgasm because it doesn't make me look like a dirty, oily mess. I don't have any NARS blush to do a comparison with now because I binned them a long time ago after the stupid rubbery packaging started disintegrating.



Hot Mama! goes on as a slightly shimmery peachy-pink shade that is quite flattering and will probably look nice on most skin tones because it has a neutral undertone. On me, it adds a pop of colour without looking over-the-top and the light golden shimmer is just enough to highlight my non-existent cheekbones.


It is a fairly pigmented product and I need a light hand when applying. I use a fluffy blush brush, gently dip into the product, tap off any excess and lightly dust across my cheeks. I am so lovin' this as a blush! I have not used it as an eyeshadow but it ought to look really pretty as an allover lid colour or highlighter too. In the photo below, I applied a very sheer layer as I was still experimenting but the colour is definitely buildable.


Pros:
• Pretty peach shade with neutral undertones.
• Shimmery but not too obvious.
• Dual-purpose, can be used as an eyeshadow and blush.
• Pigmented.
• Smooth and buttery texture.
• Sturdy packaging with mirror (although made from cardboard).
• Quirky retro "cover girl".
• Fairly long-lasting (around 6 - 8 hours on me).

Cons:
• Not widely available (only sold at Sasa stores locally).


Availability:
theBalm's Hot Mama! can be found at most Sasa stores at RM65 for 7.08g worth of product. This is quite a good size and is double in volume than most.