Sunday, September 11, 2011

Revlon Colorstay Liquid Foundation

That's right, people... it's a foundation review again! I was trying to think of an excuse on why I bought yet another foundation but then I thought, sod it... I'm just a foundation junkie and don't really need to come up with any good reason.

I can't believe time has passed so quickly and it has been two weeks since I last blogged. I have been very busy and stressed out lately and it has taken a toll on my skin. That and not drinking enough water throughout the day. So my face has been rather dry and flaky. It may have been aggravated by a number of new skincare products I've been slapping on as well.

Anyway, I've been watching a number of YouTube "beauty guru" videos and noticed a couple of them raving about the Revlon Colorstay foundation. I then googled through several reviews and they were mostly positive so that piqued my interest even more. It being a drugstore product means it won't break the bank and I don't need to spend more than three figures (in Ringgit Malaysia, of course) on a higher-end foundation.


To my surprise, they carry only five different shades locally when there are at least twelve available in the US. I'm not sure what cosmetic companies are thinking when they export to South East Asian countries but the colour selections are usually much more limited.


I picked up Sand Beige in the Combination/Oily Skin formula because I think it was the lightest shade available. I was a little apprehensive at first because it looked a little yellow on the back of my hand but when swatched on my neck, it blended seamlessly. My colouring ranges between NC20 to NC25 (in MAC speak) and Sand Beige seemed to match me quite well.


The texture of Revlon Colorstay is a little thicker than the runnier, more liquidy foundations in my stash but it blends out very well. I have read people complaining that it dries very quickly but I don't find it to be a problem because I usually work on one side of my face before moving on to other parts.

It provides medium coverage and it's good enough to even out my face, which can be rather red and splotchy. It will not hide all your blemishes with one light layer but there is a video out there that shows you how you can layer and cover up acne or heavy scarring with this foundation alone. I don't find it cakey at all and it smoothens out the flaky bits of skin too (yay!).


What absolutely amazed me was the oil-control with this foundation. My face normally gets oily around the T-zone after a couple of hours but the Revlon Colorstay controlled oil so well that it's a little scary. It is a long-lasting foundation and holds up very well throughout the day. Revlon claims that it wears for 16 hours and I can believe it. My advise is to ensure that you remove the foundation thoroughly when you're washing your face due to it's long-wearing formula.

There is a plasticky, art-paint scent that many have complained about. Quite honestly, as long as it does not smell too sickly sweet or gourmand, I can tolerate most smells so it does not bother me. It also does not come in a pump bottle and can get quite messy when pouring out. I try to be careful but there's always too much product oozing out and it's rather wasteful because I don't use a lot. So I've resorted to using a clean q-tip or spatula to scoop the foundation.

Overall, this is one of the most impressive foundations I have used in a long time. I've worn it six days in a row and am not sure if I will break out from it but it has been fine so far. Oil control is superb and I am so happy that I have finally found a foundation that doesn't become patchy or pool or oxidise on my finicky skin.

Pros:
• Medium coverage, which looks quite natural (if you find the right shade).
• Excellent oil control, the best so far!
• Semi-matte finish that does not look flat.
• Blends in well and does not cake.
• Long-wearing formula.
• Affordable price.

Cons:
• No pump on bottle.
• Has a strange scent.
• Limited shades available locally (this is not a fault of the foundation though).

Availability:
Revlon Colorstay Liquid Foundation for combination / oily skin can be found at most drugstores or Revlon counters for RM48. Do keep an eye out for discounts as you may sometimes get 10% off your purchases.