Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Using Stuff I Hardly Use and Liking Them

I like having days off during weekdays, especially when it's a public holiday. But le hubby and I usually have some form of errand to run during such days and this means going out under the hot mid-day sun. Knowing that I'll be out and about in the terrible heat, I decided to go for a minimal makeup look that is less prone to meltdown.


Since getting the Shu Uemura mousse base in BB Beige (limited edition shade), I have only used it a total of 2 times. That was because I was using my fingers to apply and it went on really heavy and streaky. I could never get it to blend out properly.

Today, I decided to whip out my trusty Beauty Blender sponge and the mousse went on like a dream. Just ignore the slightly discoloured bottom as I had not washed the sponge at the time the photo was taken.


The sponge was lightly dampened with a few spritzes of Avene mineral water. I dabbed some mousse on it and proceeded to bounce the sponge all over my face. This method works much better than spreading and tapping with my fingers because the consistency of BB Beige is thicker than the regular mousse bases and doesn't blend as easily. I then dusted on loose powder, applied some light eye makeup and voila, I was done. And it only took 5 minutes.

* freshly applied makeup *

* after 4 hours of running errands and spending some time under the hot sun *

The BB Beige survived quite well and in terms of oil control, seemed to perform slightly better than the regular BB creams. I am so happy that I can start using this product more regularly because I was quite disappointed with its application before that I was already contemplating on giving it away.

And speaking of happy, I was feeling really chuffed a few days ago that I can finally use gel liners properly (thanks to the MAC 209 brush), that I went out and purchased the Maybelline Gel Eyeliner in Brown.


The eyeliner survived all the heat and sweating of the day too. After 4 hours, my mascara had started to flake a little, which is why there were tiny, black flecks around the eye (2nd photo). But the eyeliner remained intact.

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with today's makeup and think I may do this more :-)