Sunday, May 9, 2010

reviews : revlon colorburst lipstick

I have never been fond of Revlon cosmetics, partially due to the packaging as I find them rather old fashion. Also, their products are not particularly exciting and the Revlon counters at our local drugstores are just a tad bit sad and limited. However, their new lipstick range called Colorburst seem to break the traditional Revlon "look" and after reading several rave reviews around the beauty blogosphere, I was really keen on trying them out and this was the first time in ages that I have bought something from Revlon.


Revlon Colorburst lipsticks are packaged in matte, black tubes with fishnet criss-crossings on the front and back. I think they look quite chic :-) If you are familiar with what other Revlon products look like, you will know that this new packaging is definitely more up-to-date.


The top of each cap has the colour of the lipstick painted over. This is useful if you store your lipsticks upright and you can pick up the shade you're after immediately. I personally think it mars the packaging slightly as I would prefer an all black tube because it looks more sleek. That aside, the lipstick tube is pretty sturdy and cool to touch and closes with a proper, tight click. This is important to me because I have a few lipstick tubes that don't close well and they are prone to being dropped.


* Revlon Colorburst in Mauve *


* Revlon Colorburst in Blush *


* Revlon Colorburst in Peach *

* left to right : mauve, blush, peach *

Description :
• Luxurious, rich color that feels virtually weightless.
• Instant burst of rich, true color with a featherlight feel.
• Elasticolor™ technology provides immediate color release and hugs lips with a burst of weightless color that feels like a second skin.

The texture of Revlon Colorburst lipstick is quite creamy although if you have very dry lips, it's best to use a lipbalm first because it will cake around any dry patch on your lips. They are not high on shimmer but they do go on with some shine. The lipsticks are unscented, which is a good thing because I have used Revlon lip products in the past and they had really strange fruity scents.

You need to be aware that these lipsticks are quite soft and may break easily. When I swatched the colour Mauve, it nearly broke off its base! I had to stick it in the fridge to harden it. This is not a long-lasting lipstick and will start to fade after a couple of hours or so. I have read some people calling this a sheer lipstick but I seem to be able to get pretty good colour payoff after two swipes on my lips.

There are eight shades available locally :
Blush, Fuschia, Mauve, Peach, Plum, Sienna, Soft Nude, True Red


Availability :
Revlon Colorburst lipsticks are available at most local drugstores and cost RM39 each.