Thursday, March 4, 2010

skin and caring

(warning : long post ahead)

Since I stopped using the L'Occitane sunscreen and the Paul & Joe Whitening Serum (which has alcohol listed as the second ingredient), the condition of my skin has improved a bit. It does not feel as parched as before. I never would have thought alcohol (especially if listed as the first five ingredient) would play such a huge part in making my skin go all wonky.

I had been taking real good care of my skin the last three months, slapping on all sorts of products. The "taking care" part has helped reduce the amount of small white bumps that were on my forehead and cured several painful pimples on my cheeks. My skin is a lot smoother too. So, you can imagine how baffling it was when I could see all these improvements but my face just felt dryer, yet horribly greasy at the same time.

I purchased many different foundations recently because they would all cake and streak so bad on me. I kept thinking it was the foundation at fault and never thought it could be the skin care. It only hit me to check on the ingredient list when I wrote the MAC foundation review because it made me realise that the only constant skin care item had been the sunscreen.

I could have saved quite a bit if I had made the discovery sooner and learnt how to read ingredient lists proper. I am beginning to like mineral foundations as they go on more natural and less heavy than normal compact powder types. The only part I don't enjoy so much is the application because it can get messy and I need to find the right face brush.

I still have some redness around my face but at least the foundations do not cake immediately. I don't use concealers because I have not found one I really like. I use less blotting papers throughout the day too. I cannot believe what a difference the switch in skin care has made.

Here's what my current routine looks like :

AM
  • Dr. Ci:Labo Super Sensitive Face Wash
  • Dr. Ci:Labo Aqua Collagen Gel Super Moisture
  • Dr. Ci:Labo UV & White Moisture Milk SPF 30 PA++
  • Bioxil Advanced Wrinkle Lifting Eye Cream
PM
  • MAC Cleanse Off Oil (if wearing makeup or sunscreen)
  • Paul & Joe Light Cleansing Milk (as an alternative to the MAC oil cleanser for no makeup days)
  • Hada Labo Moisturizing Face Wash
  • Hada Labo Moisturizing Lotion
  • Dr. Ci:Labo Aqua Collagen Gel Super Moisture
  • Strivectin SD Eye Cream
  • Cellnique Skin Action Sebum Gel
  • Bioxil Advanced Anti-Aging Firming Moisturizer (on alternate nights and on my neck too)
Extra Treats
  • various face and eye sheet masks
  • L'Occitane Brightening Smoothing Exfoliator
  • Laneige Water Sleeping Pack Plus
  • Aesop Primrose Facial Cleansing Masque (only on problem spots around t-zone)
It seems like a lot but the AM and PM routine takes less than ten minutes. It is only when using some extras that more time is spent. I replaced several products that I suspect contributed to some skin dryness because my previous routine had more L'Occitane and Paul & Joe skin care.

This post has taken longer than expected but it's a good way for me to keep track of what I currently use. I am still experimenting with different products and I think I have a good routine to stick to for now. I will probably start reviewing a few items after two or three months usage. Stay tuned for more skin care drivel!