Tuesday, March 9, 2010

makeup with minerals

There has been an explosion of mineral makeup in recent years. I have read about it quite some time back and even the mainstream cosmetic companies have jumped on the mineral bandwagon. Upon doing some research, I was surprised to find that brands like Dior and Laura Mercier had their own line of mineral makeup.

One of the better articles that describes what mineral makeup is can be found at The Mineral Makeup Blog. The main selling point is that they do not contain ingredients that are harmful to your skin. As with any skin care or cosmetic item, there are always potential allergens and one of the common ingredients that may be problematic is Bismuth Oxychloride. However, many companies produce mineral makeup that are bismuth-free.

The first time I tried a mineral foundation was Maybelline's Clear Smooth Minerals. The ingredient list states that it may contain bismuth. Luckily, I don't seem particularly allergic to it but I did feel a slight itching sensation when I was sweating. I had taken my dog out for a walk in the sweltering tropical heat that day. When I wore it to work the next few days, I did not suffer any adverse reactions.

I thought of getting a bismuth-free foundation anyway... you know, just in case the bismuth starts to become a problem. I was hesitant about ordering online because I was afraid the shades won't match. Also, it seemed a bit of a hassle to purchase a few sample jars to test. To my delight, I came across Lumiere Cosmetics at The Bodybar in Sunway Pyramid when I was out shopping over the weekend and got to test the shades there and then.


Mind you, the range at The Bodybar is rather limited but it had what I was looking for. I bought the Lumiere Silk Powder and Loving Minerals synthetic kabuki brush as well. The Ultimate Foundation brush you see in the photo is from Youngblood Cosmetics and yes, I had purchased their mineral foundation too (it contains bismuth though).



I have been using the Lumiere makeup the past three days and must conclude that I am quite happy with the results. It provides a light to medium coverage, which is buildable but may get a little powdery if used too heavily. I like that my skin looks better but not overly made up . And best of all, I don't get that horrible orangey face at the end of the day and there were barely any streaks in sight too. If you have an oily t-zone like me, it is recommended that you use the foundation along with the silk powder.

Lumiere Cashmere Silk Foundation (my shade : Light Beige)
Skin type - all skin types
Coverage - buildable light to medium
Finish - mostly matte, has a soft silkiness
Ingredients - real silk powder, serecite (colorless mica), titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, boron nitride, iron oxides

Lumiere Silk Finishing Powder (my shade : Sand)
Skin type  for all skin types, especially oily skin
Finish - mostly matte, has a soft satin silkiness
Ingredients - real silk powder


* I have tungsten lights in my room so everything looks yellow-ish *

It is quite important to moisturise your skin properly before mineral foundation application otherwise it may settle into your lines or enhance any flaky bits. I still think the finish is a lot nicer than the normal powder foundations I am used to.

I am so enamoured with mineral makeup now and have just placed an order from Loving Minerals, probably the only local e-tailer that carries Lumiere Cosmetics amongst other brands. If you're keen on mineral makeup and you're new to it, I'd strongly recommend that you try out sample sizes first because finding the right shade may be tricky if ordering online. Many sellers and companies offer their products in smaller jars.

I won't be throwing out my non-mineral foundations but I can foresee I'll be using less of them. I think I am a mineral makeup convert!

useful link :