Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Keeping Eye Makeup In Check with NARS Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base

After having waxed lyrical about Too Faced Shadow Insurance (TFSI) and going on and on about how fabulous that little tube of wonder is, I then had to opportunity to test out the NARS Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base when I visited Hong Kong in May. I honestly didn't plan on picking up an eye primer since I was very happy with TFSI.


But you know what? I'm a makeup junkie and a lemming at that. I actually didn't get it immediately but after walking around for hours with a full face of NARS makeup on (I was testing out a number of products that day) and noticing that everything was sort of melting except for the eye makeup, I went back to the counter and grabbed that Smudge Proof baby.

Description:
This smudge-proof eyeshadow base uses a unique polymer and mineral powder blend to get a firm grip on color for long-lasting, gorgeous wear. Fortified with a special deep-sea extract and an antioxidant rice extract, it dries on contact and keeps the delicate eye lid smooth and ready for eyeshadow application.


I do like the simple, under-stated packaging but why must they add that irritating NARS "rubber" on everything? Haven't they realised by now that their rubber tends to go all kinds of funky in heat and humidity? Thankfully, nothing has happened to my tube yet.


The Smudge Proof base is a white cream but goes on colourless once you apply and blend it out on your lids. The texture is very silky, probably due to the silicone content, and it is very easy to spread. It smooths the lid surface, helps extend the quality and wear of eye makeup, and most importantly, does not cause my eyeshadows to crease.


It helps deepen the opacity of eyeshadows and makes them look more vibrant. I have also gone clubbing (which is a very rare occurrence) and returned home at 3AM with my eye makeup still looking fresh and intact. This is a true test of its namesake and it is indeed smudge proof! Hint : It's probably a good one to wear in the upcoming Christmas dinners and parties too :-)


Overall, I really like the NARS Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base and can even say that it is on par with TFSI in terms of performance. However due to the price difference between the two, I'd still go for TFSI as it is more value for money. Smudge Proof costs US$24 for 0.26oz and TFSI costs US$18 for 0.35oz.

Ingredient List:
Isododecane · Talc · Cyclopentasiloxane · Disteardimonium Hectorite · Vp/Eicosene Copolymer Dimethicone · Cetyl Ethylhexanoate · Cyclohexasiloxane ·Sorbitan Sesquioleate · Trimethylsiloxysilicate · Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride ·Propylene Carbonate · Peg-40 Stearate · Sorbitan Olivate · Tocopheryl Acetate · Cera Alba (Beeswax) · Phenoxyethanol · Diethylhexyl Syringylidenemalonate · Oryza Sativa [OryzaSativa (Rice) Bran Oil Extract] · Triethoxycaprylylsilane · Castor Oil Phosphate · Sea Whip Extract · Mica · Ci 77891 (Titanium Dioxide) · Ci 77163 (Bismuth Oxychloride)