Monday, October 3, 2011

Dior Skinflash Radiance Booster Pen in Rose Glow

I came across a review on the Dior Skinflash Radiance Booster Pen on My Women Stuff's blog some time back and decided that I had to get one for myself too. Seriously, our dear Ms. ParisB has created some gaping holes in my wallet ever since I got to know her personally.


I don't actually have many highlighter products because my t-zone is oily and I was afraid that overly shimmery products will enhance the greasiness on my face. I have since learned that when applied carefully and only to certain parts of the face, a highlighter can help brighten my overall appearance and make me look a bit more radiant.


So I trotted off to Dior and picked up a Radiance Booster Pen in 001 Rose Glow because I really liked the pale, pinky-beige pearl shade.


But... here's the catch... I don't really know what it's supposed to do. The first time I used it, I clicked the product out, dabbed and patted some under my eyes but it made them appear really pale and pink. The reverse panda look is not flattering, people! It also enhanced the fine lines and made me look even more tired. It was better in my second attempt, when I dabbed and patted some product across my cheekbones and below my brows.

There's been a bit of trial and error before discovering a suitable method to use the Radiance Booster Pen. Instead of applying the product directly to my face, I now dispense some onto the back of my hand and use a paddle shaped foundation brush to gently pat on my cheekbones, down the center of my nose and onto my cupid's bow (the 'M' above one's lips).

So far, this method has worked quite well on me but I am still experimenting with different ways of using it. The pinkish pearlescent shade does add a pretty sheen to my face without looking over the top. Maybe that's why it's called a Radiance Booster Pen, and not Concealer or Highlighter Pen. It's designed to give one's complexion a perked-up, radiant glow.

The Beauty Cabinet Tip "When using a cream or liquid highlighter, it would be best to apply onto unpowdered skin to avoid caking."

Now, I feel the need to address the packaging. I dislike liquid products that come in clicky brush pens and should have thought about it more before grabbing one in my excitement. It can be difficult to control the amount to dispense. Although I can more or less estimate the number of clicks, there's always some product left on the brush which will dry up and cake. I would have preferred if it came in a squeeze tube or a doe-foot applicator. Also, the pen is metal and completely opaque, which means I cannot tell how much product is left.

Overall, the Dior Skinflash Radiance Booster Pen in itself is a fairly decent product but I find the packaging to be an annoyance. For me, it sucks the fun out of making up because I have a bit too many things to worry about when using it. But if you're not as particular as me, you would probably enjoy this product more.


Pros:
• Pretty pearly shades.
• Lightweight consistency.
• Good balance of shimmer.
• Provides a nice radiant glow.

Cons:
• Cumbersome clicky pen packaging.
• Not an easy product to use for first timers.
• Limited shades available.
• May not suit many skin tones.
• Can settle into fine lines and appear cakey.
• Expensive.

The Dior Skinflash Radiance Booster Pen is sold at Dior counters nationwide for RM120. Each pen consists of 1.5ml of product. Yes, it has a hefty price tag but if it works for you, you'd probably find it to be a worth while investment.