Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Paul & Joe Protective Fluid Foundation S

You know, I do try to be a disciplined and savvy shopper. I really do. But more often than not, I am faced with a situation where I just cannot help myself. This was what happened when I spotted a new foundation by Paul & Joe during my holiday in Hong Kong a couple of months back.


I must confess, what really sold me was the packaging. Not only does the foundation come in Paul & Joe's gorgeous frosted glass bottle with its embossed chrysanthemum motif, they have finally released a foundation that comes with a pump.

* A pump, yo! *

Okay, it may not be relevant to some but pouring out foundation straight from a bottle reminds me of the eighties, when big hair and bigger shoulder pads were in. Did I mention the eighties? My age must be showing. A pump does make things a whole lot easier and less messy.



Source : Paul & Joe

When I tested the foundation at the store, I tried both shades 101 and 201 and seemed to be a closer fit to the latter, as it has more neutral or pink undertones. It feels quite weightless and provides a semi-dewy finish especially when applied with a damp Beauty Blender sponge. I can see why this foundation is recommended for warmer weather or summer months. It offers SPF25 PA++ protection but I usually wear a sunscreen below anyway.


The colour match (shade 201) is pretty spot on and it blends into my skin seamlessly. The directions on the box recommends pumping some product onto your hands and spreading over the face with your palms. I have not tried applying using this method yet so I'm not sure if it is a better way. Using a damp sponge seems to work.

* taken with flash under tungsten (warm) lighting *

It offers enough coverage for me as I do not like heavy foundations and don't really mind some of my skin flaws showing through. If you are looking for something with more cover, this may not be the right foundation. However my skin gets quite oily by midday and I need to blot. Oil control is average but for those with drier skin, it will not be an issue.

Pros:
• Pretty and sweet packaging, looks lovely on any dressing table.
• SPF 25 PA++ sun protection.
• Lightweight formula.
• Medium coverage.

Cons:
• Does not offer much oil control.
• May be expensive.
• Shades available are not very wide.

Availability:
I think the Protective Fluid Foundation S may be available at local Paul & Joe counters but am not certain how much it costs. I purchased mine at a Paul & Joe boutique in Langham Mall, Mongkok. It retails for HK$378 (approx. RM147) but I did get a 10% discount and eventually paid HK$340.