Monday, May 30, 2011

Hong Kong Haul

We just got back yesterday and I already miss the hustle and bustle of the busy city and the shops that are opened until late. We ate and shopped 'til our hearts content... or at least I did. The last time I visited Hong Kong was back in 1997. Things have changed quite a bit since. Most people spoke to me in Mandarin or English although I did try to communicate the best I could with my very hesitant Cantonese.

* Hong Kong's city lights across the harbour *

I purchased a few things here and there. Shops such as Sasa, Bonjour, Watson's and Mannings (similar to Guardian locally) operate until 11PM daily. I love the choices they offer, especially on Japanese products. They are cheaper in Hong Kong and the variety is simply better.

* skin and hair care haul *

* cosmetics haul *

There were several other items that were not photographed because I was too lazy to dig them out. My last purchase on the day I left was a Guerlain Meteorites Miniature Duo, just because I've heard and read so much about it. I also bought a few beauty products and gifts for the family.

If you're planning to go Hong Kong and are a beauty product junkie, here are a few recommendations that I hope can help;

• Research the prices of products locally and make up a list.

• Most goods in Hong Kong Sasa, Bonjour and drugstores are cheaper but just do a quick currency conversion if uncertain. I would whip out my phone calculator at nearly every store and the sales assistants are generally quite patient with me.

• If you have something specific to purchase, try to find out the address and location of the shop beforehand. Google Maps is pretty handy. I wanted a Billingham camera bag that wasn't available widely but found the shop easily thanks to Google Maps because I knew which road, MTR stop and exit to take.

• If you happen to be in Macau, try to visit the DFS Galleria at The Four Seasons, which is connected to The Venetian Hotel. There are loads of mid-end to high-end international brands available and the prices are quite good too.

• If you're in Kowloon, do pop by Langham Place Mall in Mongkok. Lots of cosmetic brands available from NARS to Jill Stuart, under one roof. There is a Muji store on the 7th floor too.

• The beauty halls in Sogo can get very busy, especially when there's a sale going on but it's not necessarily cheaper than finding the same product at Sasa or Bonjour, unless that brand or product is not available at either shops.

• Most people in Hong Kong can speak Cantonese, Mandarin and English, so communication was not a problem. Sometimes I had to spell out the name for them but for the most part, it wasn't an issue.


So there you have it. I'll be posting about the products individually in the near future and will try to include a few more tips and bits about my trip. I hope you have had a good week so far because I most certainly have enjoyed mine :-)