Sunday, April 10, 2011

Shu Uemura Sakura Collection 2011

I have never heard of Mika Ninagawa until the release of Shu Uemura's sakura collection this year. She is a Japanese photographer / film director and has collaborated with Shu to bring us a really pretty springtime release.


There are three UV Under Base Mousse in this collection, all in a special edition canister designed by Mika. I picked up BB Beige as it's a limited edition shade and I already have Pink in a regular can. These mousse bases are quite light and airy but the BB Beige does feel a little heavier than the regular ones and offers more coverage too.


The shade may look a wee bit darker than my natural skintone but it does blend in quite well. As much as I love the texture of the BB Beige mousse, it is sadly a little too drying on me. However, the one in Pink seems to work better.


You can also purchase a limited edition Face Architect powder foundation case in this collection. The case is so pretty! I've always liked this powder foundation and am nearly hitting pan on my existing compact, so I did not mind picking up another.


There are six Rouge Unlimited lipsticks that were inspired by the different tones of the beautiful sakura. I chose pk332, which is described as a modern pink with warm undertones. It is quite a wearable pink but if your lips are very pigmented, it may not show up well.


Then there's the special edition makeup pouch, which I really like because it has a number of useful slots within. I had a lot of fun taking photos of this collection because everything was so bright and cheerful.

You can purchase the Mika Ninagawa set for RM313 (original price RM393) and 10% of the sales from this collection will be donated to the Japanese Red Cross, in support of their disaster relief efforts.

Personally, I have always loved spring blossoms and the sakura flower is indeed special in full bloom. This reminds me of a trip I made to China two years ago in spring. There were peach, apple, pear and plum blossoms everywhere and it was such a joyful experience.