Saturday, April 17, 2010

lovin' chanel rouge coco

The last time I purchased a Chanel lipstick was fifteen years ago. I had just turn eighteen (yes, my age is showing) and wanted to treat myself to luxury. Since I could not afford a Chanel bag at that time, I thought the next best thing would be a Chanel cosmetic item. And so I splurged on an Aqualumiere lipstick, in a shade that is probably discontinued. It was my most beautiful lipstick and whenever I had it on, it would make me feel pretty. I treasured it to bits and used up most of it but it took a few years to wear it down.
After that, I got into a gloss stage and all I would get were lip glosses. For many years, lipstick was not part of my vocabulary and I used to stay away from most because I thought they made my lips dry. However, new formulas have been developed over the course of time and lipsticks were getting more moisturising, soft, supple, rich and creamy. I find myself being drawn to lipsticks more and more these days. When I read Chanel was launching a new lipstick as a homage to "Coco" Chanel, I knew I had to have one (or maybe two).


Rouge Coco 05 Mademoiselle is the shade worn by Vanessa Paradis in the Chanel ads. Truth be told, I did not know of the pretty French lady before this lipstick was launched and that she is Johnny Depp's partner. Sadly, I don't really keep up with celebrity news.
Mademoiselle is a very feminine, neutral shade that can be worn by most. It is a rosy pink shade with slight peachy undertones. It is pigmented without being too strong. It goes on with a slight sheen, that is neither frosty nor shiny.


My favourite shade from the collection is Rouge Coco 17 Orchidee. This is a gorgeous, gorgeous rosy pink-red with  a hint of coral. It is pretty pigmented and contains some fine golden shimmer. It feels creamier than Mademoiselle but the texture of Rouge Coco in general is not exactly hydrating, although I can't say it is drying either. I guess it is somewhere in between. I am pleased that they go on feeling rather lightweight on my lips.


I read that a lot of thought went into the packaging of these lipsticks. The R&D folks over at Chanel tested hundreds of packaging to get the right "click" when you put the lid back on. I have been testing it out myself and yes, it does close with a solid and reassuring click each time.

Rouge Coco is available at Chanel counters nationwide and retails at RM95 each.