Friday, April 30, 2010

review : sunplay skin aqua sunscreens

If you live in a climate where it's sunny all year round, you should know that sunscreen is an important product to consider. I honestly did not know the importance of using sunscreen until I reached adulthood. I didn't see as many whitening and sun protection products growing up.

My favourite drugstore sunscreen brand has got to be Sunplay's Skin Aqua series.


They are cheap and will offer sufficient sun protection for most folks (unless you spend a majority of your day under the sun, of which I would recommend much higher SPF).


Mentholatum Sunplay UV Mild Milk SPF25 PA++
• mild sunscreen moisture milk to protect and moisturise skin against harmful sunlight
• contains effective moisturizing ingredients, hyaluronic acid and collagen to keep skin soft and moisturized after exposure to sunlight
• enriched with vitamin E, to maintain smooth and healthy ski
• high protection against harmful UVA & UVB
• fragrance free, low irritation, suitable for daily outdoor activities

Of the three, the UV Mild Milk (pink cap bottle) is my favourite as I can use this on my face without any worries. It is free from alcohol, fragrance, mineral oil and colorant. The texture is like a lotion and it applies very smoothly on my face. I have not suffered any breakouts from using this either. This sunscreen is a fairly new addition and I have only seen it at Watson's so far. I have been using it daily for almost three weeks and the bottle is still quite full.


Mentholatum Sunplay UV Moisture Gel SPF25 PA++ (80g):
    •    Fresh sunscreen moisture gel protects and hydrates skin against harmful sunlight
    •    Contains MPC moisture retention barrier which helps keep skin soft and supple after long hours of sunlight
    •    Enriched with carrot extract, Vitamin B1,B2 and C, to maintain smooth and healthy skin
    •    Effective protection against harmful UVA and UVB
    •    Low irritation, suitable for daily outdoor activities

I usually use the UV Moisture Gel on my arms and body (parts that are exposed). It has a really interesting texture that comes out like a cross between a lotion and a gel. It has a slight powdery scent that goes away quickly and applies with a light, cooling sensation. I don't think it contains alcohol but it does feel a little drier, which is why I don't use this on my face although it may be a good choice for those with very oily skin.


 Mentholatum Sunplay UV Moisture Milk SPF50 PA+++ (42g):
    •    Light sunscreen moisture milk which protects and hydrates skin against harmful sunlight
    •    Contains effective moisturizing ingredients, Hyaluronic acid and Collagen, which help keep skin soft and moisturized even after long hours of sunlight
    •    Enriched with carrot extract, Vitamin B1,B2 and C, to maintain smooth and healthy skin
    •    Effective protection against harmful UVA and UVB
    •    Low irritation, suitable for daily outdoor activities

The UV Moisture Milk has the highest SPF and PA rating in this range. It is water resistant, which makes it perfect if you like to go swimming or do a lot of outdoor activities. I used to use this on my face (and a few other sunscreens) before the UV Mild Milk came out. The texture is rather runny and appears milky white but once applied onto skin, it is completely colourless and does not have that whitish cast that some sunscreens produce. Of the three, this one comes in the smallest bottle but is still a good size.

Availability :
Sunplay products are available in most major pharmacies and Sasa. I believe each bottle costs RM29.90 but I cannot confirm for sure because it could be cheaper since Watson's and Guardian usually offer discounts.