Monday, February 22, 2010

review : lush lemony flutter

How many times have you bought something with every good intention on using it but it ends up sitting in the deep, dark crevices of your drawer instead? This was what happened with the LUSH Lemony Flutter Cuticle Butter I purchased a year and a half ago during my travels in New Zealand. I do not have problems with my nails, in fact they are quite strong. On the other hand, my cuticles are a rather sad sight and that was why I decided to purchase a tub of Lemony Flutter.


Description (taken from LUSH UK) :
Softens hard skin all over the body, especially the cuticles. We made Lemony Flutter to soften your cuticles; it's our thickest cream out there. It's so good at softening your cuticles and nourishing your nails that Lush customers have been using it to soften and nourish lots of other body parts like their feet, elbows and knees. Fortunately, it's a very reasonably priced cream, so you can afford to use it as widely as you wish. Take more care of your extremities and invest a small sum in a Lemony pot.

Ingredients :
Fresh Organic Lemon Infusion (Citrus limonum), Shea Butter (Butyrospermum parkii), Beeswax (Cera alba), Lanolin, Soya Oil (Glycine soja), Cold Pressed Organic Avocado Oil (Persea gratissima), Cold Pressed Organic Flaxseed Oil (Linum usitatissimum), Mango Butter (Mangifera indica), Hydrogenated Palm Kernel Oil, Castor Oil (Ricinus communis), Perfume, Cold Pressed Organic Wheatgerm Oil (Triticum vulgare), Lemon Oil (Citrus limonum), Lavender Oil (Lavandula angustifolia), Tagetes Oil (Tagetes minuta), Chamomile Oil (Anthemis nobilis), Sodium Borate (Borax), Gardenia Extract (Gardenia jasminoides), *Citral, *Geraniol, *Citronellol, *Limonene, *Linalool, Methylparaben, Propylparaben


The picture on the LUSH website depicts the cream to be a crazy loud yellow colour but it's actually not. The cream is pastel yellow and the consistency is lightly whipped. It goes on like creamed butter, a little thick and very emollient, which of course is good for my nails and cuticles. LUSH recommends it to be used on other dry parts of your body too. I sometimes slap some on my heels and wake up to smooth feet. Anyone who has seen my cracked heels before will know that they are quite gross.

So, why haven't I used it for so long? Quite honestly, I forgot I had it. After returning from NZ, I stuffed it in a drawer and just recently started clearing out my junk and came across the tub. Although the date indicates it has expired (best before : 29/12/09), it still looks and smells okay to me so I just proceeded to use it.

My cuticles before using Lemony Flutter :

After dabbing some cream on :

After massaging the cream in :

I swear I have all five fingers and it's just the angle of the camera that refused to include the thumb. You can see that the tips of my fingers appear a lot more "healthy" and moisturised after rubbing the cream in. I can definitely feel a difference because my cuticles are smoother. I keep my nails fairly short because I play the piano.

I must admit I may have re-discovered a new love! The only thing that I'm not loving so much is the scent. It smells like lemony moth balls and no, it has not turned because it expired, it has been this way since the day I bought it. Actually, it's not as strong as before so I guess forgetting about it for a while was a good thing.

Availability :
Unfortunately, LUSH is not locally available but you can order from either the LUSH UK website or the Australian one. I cannot recall how much I paid for it but it retails for GBP 5.50 on the UK site. It comes in a generously sized 50g black, plastic tub. I'd reckon if you only use this on your nails on a daily basis, one tub may last a year.